CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-24 21:06:04 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

ReignInHell (6)

Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

CUSA is a joke, someone on the Facebook EP posted that our new AD said our TV revenue will be "lower"

Post your pros and cons of going independent.  I vote to say the hell with it and go independent, in can't be any worse than CUSA. 

However I would like to hear the reasons why we should stay in CUSA.

#2 2017-09-24 21:11:46 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

southern miss slacker (304)

Re: Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

oh good, this topic again.

#3 2017-09-24 21:26:30 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

AndreWhere (1252)

Give me liberty or give me death. Do not step on the snake. Independence yesterday!

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2017-09-24 21:51:29 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

SoMs Eagle (189)

AndreWhere wrote:

Give me liberty or give me death. Do not step on the snake. Independence yesterday!

Well....line up against the wall....

#5 2017-09-24 21:57:47 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all conferences are not created equal, that they are endowed by John Cox with the three essentials of happiness, that among these are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Liked by:

#6 2017-09-24 22:10:26 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

SoMs Eagle (189)

beagle wrote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all conferences are not created equal, that they are endowed by John Cox with the three essentials of happiness, that among these are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Hope for a quick death. This waiting around is killing me.

#7 2017-09-24 22:34:29 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

Pros

- we're no longer in CUSA.
- it'd create some media attention, though not as much as some would think.
- able to play 3 (maybe 4) money games to generate revenue.
- our other sports would probably join the Southland, which would cut down travel costs.

Cons

- home game opponents won't be any better, might even be worse. Trading UNT, UTEP, and Charlotte for UMass, Liberty, and New Mexico State.
- it forfeits our chance at a NY6 bowl bid, the only sliver of hope this program has. This is what sways my opinion on staying in CUSA.

Independence "myths"

- bowl games. People say "WE'D HAVE NO BOWL GAMES!!!!!11111!!11.". I think it's pretty likely that a local bowl like NOLA or Mobile would sign us to some sort of deal. If not, we could take the spot of a conference that can't fill their bids.
- TV contract. This was a legit argument when we were getting $1mil+ from TV $$. It's not anymore. $200k and apparently it's going to get lower. Our whore/money road games would be televised by ESPN or SECN and the home games and G5 road games could be picked up by ESPN3.

Like I said, the idea of losing our shot at the access bowl is why I think we should tough it out (suffer?) in CUSA. But it makes a lot more sense than it did 5-6 years ago.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-24 23:39:25)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#8 2017-09-25 06:11:35 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

AndreWhere (1252)

90% of the bowl games open to us as a member of CUSA are G5 circlejerks.

Suppose we do get to the access bowl. What next? Another season in soul-sucking CUSA, with a 1 in 65 shot at getting back. The access bowl is a one-time thing; going independent is about the long-term direction of the university.

People have been making the argument that "we can go undefeated in CUSA and get to the access bowl." LOL yeah, let me know when that happens. I'll buy tickets.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#9 2017-09-25 08:23:45 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

ReignInHell wrote:

CUSA is a joke, someone on the Facebook EP posted that our new AD said our TV revenue will be "lower"

Post your pros and cons of going independent.  I vote to say the hell with it and go independent, in can't be any worse than CUSA. 

I can't think of a good reason to stay in C-USA, other than we are currently in a contract. And now that the TV money has dried up, I believe we could make more money by scheduling our own games.  I guess it boils down to two questions:

1. Our AD has to schedule 4 non-conference games annually. Is it possible, these days,  to schedule a full slate of 12 games every year?

2. Can we still recruit viable players when they know that there will be no conference championship game or bowl games in their future?

#10 2017-09-25 09:42:49 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

B&GBU (259)

ReignInHell wrote:

I feel the same way, but let's at least win CUSA a couple of times first.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#11 2017-09-25 10:59:06 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

Possible Indy schedule

Jackson State (FCS guarantee)
at Mississippi State (2-1)
ULM (1-1)
at Georgia (whore game)
at Auburn (whore game)
App State (1-1)
at Liberty (1-1)
at New Mexico State (1-1)
UAB (1-1)
at Louisiana Tech (1-1)
at Texas A&M (whore game)
UMass (1-1)

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-25 10:59:38)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#12 2017-09-25 11:06:14 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

Black Diamond Reb (418)

beagle wrote:

Possible home schedule

Jackson State
ULM
App State
UAB
UMass

This could be YOUR seat !

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#13 2017-09-25 12:45:03 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
beagle wrote:

Possible home schedule

Jackson State
ULM
App State
UAB
UMass

This could be YOUR seat !

I know, I know. That's why I said the home schedule would be possibly be worse as hard as that is to imagine.

Scheduling would be difficult, but possibly doable.

- 1 FCS guarantee game
- 3-4 whore games (would make 4-6 million a year off these games)
- 3 games vs other indy schools (Army, Liberty, NM State, UMass .... BYU is probably done with us after we canceled our H/H)
- 4-5 G5 home/home deals.

Scheduling 1 FCS game is easy. Just call up some SWAC school and pay them $300k.

Playing 3-4 whore games. Play 2 SEC games and maybe 1 or 2 ACC or Big 12 games. Like I said, right now with only 4 OOC games, we can only play 1 (with a 2nd every now and then) whore games a year. We can get up 3-4 with an indy schedule.

3 indy games. Sign scheduling deals with Army, Liberty, NM State, and UMass where we would play 3 of those schools each year.

4-5 G5 home/home deals. This is kinda the tricky part. Call up South Alabama and get a 10-year scheduling deal going. 5 games in Hattiesburg, 5 in Mobile. They'd jump at that shit in half a second. The other 3-4 games would be local teams like LaTech, UAB, Troy, ULL with Tulane thrown in every once in a while.

Another hypothetical indy schedule, maybe a little more appealing than my previous one:

Alcorn (guarantee)
at Alabama (whore game)
South Alabama (1-1)
Mississippi State (2-1)
at Florida State (whore game)
at Tulane (1-1)
Army (1-1)
at New Mexico State (1-1)
UAB (1-1)
at Louisiana Tech (1-1)
at Florida (whore game)
UMass (1-1)

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-25 12:46:36)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#14 2017-09-25 13:33:47 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Keep in mind our exit fee for leaving CUSA is going to come to just south of 5 million. CUSA renegotiated the exit fee a few years back. It is two years of shared revenue which includes bowl earnings in addition to tv rights.

Also keep in mind that if we leave one of those independents we want to schedule will then become a conference member so scheduling a Liberty or NM St might not be a given to fill our schedule.

All that being said, I am for leaving CUSA. We missed our opportunity to negotiate into a better conference like the AAC. I am not for just staying in a conference for the sake of staying because its easier. I like the idea of opening up our schedule to more whore games, as well as scheduling one game a year in New Orleans against a P5 or a La Tech, Tulane, La La, etc... A 10 game series with USA should include neutral rotating games in Birmingham and Montgomery so alumni in Atlanta and Nashville can attend. Also schedule rotation games in Dallas (UNT, SMU, TCU) and Atlanta(Ga State, GA Southern) for recruiting and alumni access. Schedule games with Memphis, ECU, Marshall, Houston, Tulsa, UAB and UCF and you already elevate our competition level from Charlotte and FIU. Hell, I would welcome one and ones with half of the MAC teams because playing Northern Ill like we did 25 years ago is better than playing UTEP today.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#15 2017-09-25 13:58:53 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Keep in mind our exit fee for leaving CUSA is going to come to just south of 5 million. CUSA renegotiated the exit fee a few years back. It is two years of shared revenue which includes bowl earnings in addition to tv rights.

Also keep in mind that if we leave one of those independents we want to schedule will then become a conference member so scheduling a Liberty or NM St might not be a given to fill our schedule.

All that being said, I am for leaving CUSA. We missed our opportunity to negotiate into a better conference like the AAC. I am not for just staying in a conference for the sake of staying because its easier. I like the idea of opening up our schedule to more whore games, as well as scheduling one game a year in New Orleans against a P5 or a La Tech, Tulane, La La, etc... A 10 game series with USA should include neutral rotating games in Birmingham and Montgomery so alumni in Atlanta and Nashville can attend. Also schedule rotation games in Dallas (UNT, SMU, TCU) and Atlanta(Ga State, GA Southern) for recruiting and alumni access. Schedule games with Memphis, ECU, Marshall, Houston, Tulsa, UAB and UCF and you already elevate our competition level from Charlotte and FIU. Hell, I would welcome one and ones with half of the MAC teams because playing Northern Ill like we did 25 years ago is better than playing UTEP today.

I thought there was some deal where charter members (USM and UAB) didn't have to pay an exit fee.

10-year deal with USA would need to be a Hattiesburg/Mobile agreement. No games at Crampton or Legion. If we want to play in Atlanta, just schedule GaState or GaTech.

I like your ideas of playing in the big cites, though I think Tulane is the only AAC team that would consider scheduling us. Also like the idea of a MAC H/H. Play an NIU, WMU, or Bowling Green.

"Big City Schedule"

South Alabama (5-5)
at Georgia Tech (whore game)
Texas Tech (New Orleans, part of 2-1)
at Rutgers (whore game)
at TCU (whore game)
Southern-BR (guarantee)
at North Texas (1-1)
Army (1-1)
at UMass (1-1, at Gillette)
Liberty (1-1)
at Northern Illinois (1-1)
New Mexico State (1-1)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#16 2017-09-25 14:01:55 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

Joining the Southland would be pretty nice for our other sports too. Easy bus trips and drivable for fans. Would love to spend a weekend in New Orleans, Thibodeaux, Hammond, or Lake Charles watching USM baseball.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#17 2017-09-25 14:19:37 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

beagle wrote:

I thought there was some deal where charter members (USM and UAB) didn't have to pay an exit fee.

Don't know. You are required to provide 14 month exit notice. I cant imagine a charter member is exempt from the 14 month notification requirement due to scheduling commitments. So if USM told Judy goodbye today, we are not going to get any CUSA revenue for those 14 months. I highly doubt they would still cut us a check for those 14 months......unless the same person that negotiated EJ's contract negotiated our CUSA exit agreement.....if that's the case we are in great shape.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#18 2017-09-25 15:11:02 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

99beers (303)

Bonus for going independent......It frees our schedule up to schedule teams because we are not locked into cusa games already scheduled.  Thus, it's actually easier to schedule better teams. 

Potential "whore" games (Away Only)
Alabama
LSU
FSU
Aub
ACC teams.....

P5 2 for 1 and/or some 1 for 1
MSU
Vandy
Kty
Wake Forest
NC State
UNC
Ga Tech

Opponents to schedule from......
Memphis
Tulane
ECU
UCF
So Fla
La Tech
Houston
TCU
Tulsa
SMU
So. Ala
Troy
ULL
Boise St.
BYU

It can work.  But it means scheduling work.  Our folks don't like to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#19 2017-09-25 15:31:08 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

beagle (173)

I think it's going to be really hard going forward getting good teams to Hattiesburg. State is different because they are a Mississippi school, they seem to be OK playing us 2-3 times every 10 years or so now that the separation is complete.

I would play 3 whore games, then a 2-1 deal (where'd we get a payout for the 3rd game, albeit smaller than a normal payday game) with our home game in New Orleans. You'd 1 good "home" game every 3 years and State once every decade.

If you can get some AAC teams to play us, I'd be all for it, but only Tulane seems to be up for it right now.

- 3 whore games - Top shelf P5s
- 1 two for one deal - midtier P5s, State in Hattiesburg, then maybe Miami, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech in New Orleans every 3 years or so. You'd have 4 interesting "home" games a decade.
- 1 FCS guarantee game - Alcorn, JSU, Southern, etc
- 3 indy H/Hs - NM State, Liberty, UMass, Army....MAYBE BYU every now and then
- 4 G5 H/Hs - USA, UAB, LaTech, Tulane, Troy, UNT, Georgia State, Georgia State, MAC/MWC, etc.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-25 15:32:03)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#20 2017-09-25 15:32:17 - Declaration of Independence (from CUSA)

99beers (303)

Example of what we could have..... (say 5 home games, 7 away)  (could be 6/6 some years depending on number of whore games scheduled.

Alabama - away "whore game"
Memphis - home
Florida St - away "whore game"
Tulane - Home/rotate
ECU - Home/rotate
Troy - Home/rotate
MSU - Away/rotate
La Tech - Home/rotate
So. Ala. - Away/rotate
SMU - Away
Ga. Tech - Away
UCF - Away/rotate

Anywho......if scheduled correctly, we could have a home stand like this.......2 or 3 AAC games/2 or 3 cusa/SB games/ 1 lower level home and home with ACC or SEC. 

Memphis/ECU/
Cinci/USF/UCF
Tulane/SMU/Tulsa
MSU/Ga. Tech/BYU/NC State/Duke
So Ala/Troy/Mid. Tn
W.KY/ Ga. St/ULL/L-Monroe

Beats the shit out of Charlotte, Old D, UNT, Rice, or any of that shit........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Board footer