CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-20 18:00:53 - Good summary of today's USM signings

AndreWhere (1252)

Good summary of today's USM signings

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college … 57399.html

Seems like virtually all of these players had offers from at least an AAC or MWC school, and several had P5 offers. It was a good day for USM football.

Some highlights:

"J.J. Jones, a cornerback from Brookhaven High School, can easily be considered the biggest name of the group thanks to an impressive offer sheet that includes Mississippi State, Tennessee, Florida State, Georgia, Louisville, Ole Miss and Oklahoma."

"New Orleans defensive back Curry Benn (6-0, 170) – Cornerback who chose USM over Arizona, Troy, Tulane and South Alabama."

"Jones County JC receiver Neil McLaurin (6-2, 195) — Originally signed with Minnesota out of West Jones."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-12-20 18:59:41 - Good summary of today's USM signings

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Good summary of today's USM signings

Found this tweet odd from Munz this afternoon. Doesn’t look like he signed......I would hate to miss out on our 20th active qb on our current roster.......

Lakeland Christian QB Tate Whatley tells me he has signed with Southern Miss. The school, however, has not made an official announcement. Not sure one will come today, either.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2017-12-20 19:02:01 - Good summary of today's USM signings

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Found this tweet odd from Munz this afternoon. Doesn’t look like he signed......I would hate to miss out on our 20th active qb on our current roster.......

Lakeland Christian QB Tate Whatley tells me he has signed with Southern Miss. The school, however, has not made an official announcement. Not sure one will come today, either.

Weird.

#4 2017-12-20 21:46:47 - Good summary of today's USM signings

USMstang (303)

He signed but he'll be a blue shirt or a grey shirt and then probably a red shirt too.  I can't keep all the shirts together but I think you can wear two shirts concurrently and play when you're 27...I'm being funny there but they could effectively drag his time out a bit I believe.

From no QBs (when Nick went down) last year to two this year (and sometimes none when KG was hurt) and next year with Griggs, Abraham, Rodriguez, and Howard backing all of them up.  We will have a true competition going for the first time in a long time!  Think about it, this year's bowl game starter could end up the 2 or 3 QB next fall and the guy that started a handful of games this year should become a WR or something (like a fast, agile LB)!

Griggs has a year to play a year, Abraham has 3 to play 3 and Rod now has 4 to play 4.  KH has 3 to play 2.

Last edited by USMstang (2017-12-20 21:47:54)

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#5 2017-12-21 07:12:33 - Good summary of today's USM signings

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

He signed but he'll be a blue shirt or a grey shirt and then probably a red shirt too.  I can't keep all the shirts together but I think you can wear two shirts concurrently and play when you're 27...I'm being funny there but they could effectively drag his time out a bit I believe.

From no QBs (when Nick went down) last year to two this year (and sometimes none when KG was hurt) and next year with Griggs, Abraham, Rodriguez, and Howard backing all of them up.  We will have a true competition going for the first time in a long time!  Think about it, this year's bowl game starter could end up the 2 or 3 QB next fall and the guy that started a handful of games this year should become a WR or something (like a fast, agile LB)!

Griggs has a year to play a year, Abraham has 3 to play 3 and Rod now has 4 to play 4.  KH has 3 to play 2.

Has USM ever had a player "grey shirt" before? Seems like Hopson really is throwing his weight around recruiting-wise if that's what's happening.

#6 2017-12-21 07:44:23 - Good summary of today's USM signings

USMstang (303)

We had 2 greys and 2 blues this past year.  That's why 2 spots are already taken from this recruiting class.

#7 2017-12-21 08:01:21 - Good summary of today's USM signings

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

We had 2 greys and 2 blues this past year.  That's why 2 spots are already taken from this recruiting class.

Interesting. I do remember Hopson shuffling people around the last time around, although I wasn't as hip to all the different things you could do and what they were each called.

#8 2017-12-21 08:04:11 - Good summary of today's USM signings

USMstang (303)

Andre --
Glyn Dyar over at Golden Eagle Pride (Scout now 24/7) paid board broke down the difference in the shirts not too long ago but I can't find the thread.  He also talked about Bubba Fludd having taken a blue (i think) and the badass LB from Morton took a grey but he was hurt this year.  And I may have those backwards.  Whichever Fludd took, he practiced with the team all year but could not play. Now he counts and can play.  Unless I totally misunderstood it, he is still redshirt eligible as well. 

For what little the paid board costs over there, it's worth it for recruiting info. And those guys (Glyn and Drew) are always happy to answer questions like this.

Beagle probably saw the "shirt" posts over there and maybe can help out as well...

#9 2017-12-21 08:09:59 - Good summary of today's USM signings

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

Andre --
Glyn Dyar over at Golden Eagle Pride (Scout now 24/7) paid board broke down the difference in the shirts not too long ago but I can't find the thread.  He also talked about Bubba Fludd having taken a blue (i think) and the badass LB from Morton took a grey but he was hurt this year.  And I may have those backwards.  Whichever Fludd took, he practiced with the team all year but could not play. Now he counts and can play.  Unless I totally misunderstood it, he is still redshirt eligible as well. 

For what little the paid board costs over there, it's worth it for recruiting info. And those guys (Glyn and Drew) are always happy to answer questions like this.

Beagle probably saw the "shirt" posts over there and maybe can help out as well...

I found a pretty good summary and read it earlier this morning. SB Nation gets wacky at times, but this is a pretty good source: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba … hirt-rules.

Greyshirting is based on enrolling later than the Fall semester in order to get extra time.

Blueshirting is based on not officially recruiting someone so that they don't count toward your signing day limit. Then you (surprise, surprise) do actually have them on scholarship once the season starts.

Greenshirting is just enrolling before Fall, to get a jump on things.

It does seem like Hopson is more aggressive about this than his predecessors. I've never followed recruiting that closely, though, other than a few really talked-up players. I am definitely getting into it more now.

Board footer