CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

Poll: Yes/No?
Yes

12% (1)
No

87% (7)
Voters: 8

#1 2017-09-30 20:10:34 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

beagle (173)

Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

I say no.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#2 2017-09-30 20:35:23 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

B&GBU (259)

Re: Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

Like a good kick in the nuts maybe.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#3 2017-09-30 21:45:37 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

tg300 (439)

Not on a national level.

With the decision makers we have had over the past 20+ years, I’m surprised we are still in 1A.

#4 2017-10-01 10:19:41 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

TruthTella ()

There is a way for USM to be good at football again, and it's sitting right in front of our faces.

All that's necessary is to tell the truth.

Among the "Big 3" in Mississippi, USM is the school for for people who are the first in their family to attend college, and for the disadvantaged in general. USM is blacker and poorer than the other two schools.

This is (I know, fucking gag me) a social justice issue. College football in the South is a huge part of college. By allowing the other two schools to be in the SEC while USM is relegated to a shit tier conference, the State is short-changing its people along class and race lines. It's providing a half-assed college experience to people who are paying a lot of hard-earned money to get educated, while the preppy Episcopalians in Oxford and the holier-than-thou Bulldogs get the full SEC experience.

This needs to be pointed out, whether by Bennett or by some group outside the University. There needs to be a push for conference parity: MSU and Ole Miss should not be allowed to compete in the SEC if we can't compete in a comparable conference.

If Bennett makes the push, he loses his job... which might actually help the cause. It would certainly give it more visibility.

The endgame here is for MSU and Ole Miss to be forced to go independent for a while, until the Big XII or AAC takes all 3 of us as a package. You can call this a pipe dream, but it just seems like common sense to me. The other 2 schools don't belong in the SEC. They're not good or big enough, and as a result they resort to cheating.

USM, conversely, really does deserve better than CUSA. We've got too many people who give a shit about us to be in a conference for schools that don't have that. The whole thing would just be a righting of wrongs, a true realignment of the college football landscape.

What's keeping this from happening is that it involves using some techniques and people that we don't like. I get it. But you have to get dirty sometimes to win. That's something we seem not to understand... we were nice to Bower, we played nice after that Turkey-related probation in the 1980s. It hasn't worked.

This is the only way I can see USM ever being worth a damn at athletics ever again. All we have to do is tell the truth, but it's an ugly, ugly truth.

#5 2017-10-01 10:46:27 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

Lloydlake (139)

I thought it was a ham

#6 2017-10-01 10:51:33 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

99beers (303)

Lloydlake wrote:

I thought it was a ham

and warmups......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#7 2017-10-01 11:01:32 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

AndreWhere (1252)

Lloydlake wrote:

I thought it was a ham

Could've been. That was a long, long time ago. Nowadays a good recruit gets store-bought womenfolk and whatnot.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#8 2017-10-01 15:06:29 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

CajunEagle (44)

Huh ?? I'm Episcopalian, and what's that got to do with anything ??  Guess I'm not suppose to wear socks with my loafers.

#9 2017-10-01 15:12:11 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

AndreWhere (1252)

CajunEagle wrote:

Huh ?? I'm Episcopalian, and what's that got to do with anything ??  Guess I'm not suppose to wear socks with my loafers.

I think it's just a proxy for upper-class? Working class is Baptist in the South, or, in New Orleans, Catholic.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#10 2017-10-01 15:13:06 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

beagle (173)

Not all Ole Miss are Episcopalians, but a lot of them are mainliners. I've always thought of the stereotypical Ole Miss alum as a doctor/lawyer that lives in the Eastover neighborhood in Jackson and sends their kids to JA or St. Andrew's.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-01 15:19:33)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#11 2017-10-01 16:25:49 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

tg300 (439)

TruthTella wrote:

There is a way for USM to be good at football again, and it's sitting right in front of our faces.

All that's necessary is to tell the truth.

Among the "Big 3" in Mississippi, USM is the school for for people who are the first in their family to attend college, and for the disadvantaged in general. USM is blacker and poorer than the other two schools.

This is (I know, fucking gag me) a social justice issue. College football in the South is a huge part of college. By allowing the other two schools to be in the SEC while USM is relegated to a shit tier conference, the State is short-changing its people along class and race lines. It's providing a half-assed college experience to people who are paying a lot of hard-earned money to get educated, while the preppy Episcopalians in Oxford and the holier-than-thou Bulldogs get the full SEC experience.

This needs to be pointed out, whether by Bennett or by some group outside the University. There needs to be a push for conference parity: MSU and Ole Miss should not be allowed to compete in the SEC if we can't compete in a comparable conference.

If Bennett makes the push, he loses his job... which might actually help the cause. It would certainly give it more visibility.

The endgame here is for MSU and Ole Miss to be forced to go independent for a while, until the Big XII or AAC takes all 3 of us as a package. You can call this a pipe dream, but it just seems like common sense to me. The other 2 schools don't belong in the SEC. They're not good or big enough, and as a result they resort to cheating.

USM, conversely, really does deserve better than CUSA. We've got too many people who give a shit about us to be in a conference for schools that don't have that. The whole thing would just be a righting of wrongs, a true realignment of the college football landscape.

What's keeping this from happening is that it involves using some techniques and people that we don't like. I get it. But you have to get dirty sometimes to win. That's something we seem not to understand... we were nice to Bower, we played nice after that Turkey-related probation in the 1980s. It hasn't worked.

This is the only way I can see USM ever being worth a damn at athletics ever again. All we have to do is tell the truth, but it's an ugly, ugly truth.

A lot of bullshit and a blatant lie.  It was a ham not a GD turkey.

Idiot.

#12 2017-10-01 16:27:02 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

admin (289)
Administrator

LOL. Things are really picking up here.

#13 2017-10-02 07:23:53 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

Lloydlake (139)

I believe I would rather see us continue in our mediocrity than play that victim card.  We would be thought of as the Al Sharpton of College football.

#14 2017-10-02 08:15:22 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TruthTella wrote:

USM is blacker than other schools. This needs to be pointed out by Bennett.

I think this is a fantastic idea.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#15 2017-10-02 08:38:07 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

GawdFearinEagle (14)

Lloydlake wrote:

I believe I would rather see us continue in our mediocrity than play that victim card.  We would be thought of as the Al Sharpton of College football.

Sharpton makes shit up, like that Tawanna Brawley rape. It's amazing that he's got any credibility left with anyone at all.

Mere whiners do not rise to the level of Al Sharpton.

Liked by:

#16 2017-10-02 10:11:09 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

beagle (173)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
TruthTella wrote:

USM is blacker than other schools. This needs to be pointed out by Bennett.

I think this is a fantastic idea.

In terms of %, yeah. But in terms of actual numbers, State has more blacks than us and OM is close. They're just able to recruit whites better because of good athletics, quality Greek Life, and solid professional programs. Very few good students want to come here because of the death spiral this university is in.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-02 10:16:50)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#17 2017-10-02 10:45:46 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

TheHeadEagle (27)

Southern Miss has historically been a teachers college, nursing college and liberal arts college.  None of these has historically produced high paying professional careers for men......of which support athletics at their schools.   Ole Miss and Miss State has produced decades of law degrees, architectural degrees, engineering degrees, medical degrees etc etc both with VERY strong Greek presence.  It makes a difference.  Just go to tailgating at any of those two schools and more times than not you're going to meet an actual alum that was in a frat....etc etc.    Southern Miss has those too but in very very low numbers.   Southern Miss has historically been a suitcase college.  There's been very little degree of school spirit or loyalty from the vast majority of students that go to Southern Miss like you see at the other two schools.   They go to Southern Miss out of convenience, etc.

#18 2017-10-02 10:52:28 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

beagle wrote:

State and OM have more blacks than us. They're just able to recruit whites better.

I'll reference this in my e mail to Flamingo to include in his presentation.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#19 2017-10-02 10:57:34 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

beagle (173)

Just saying. No "elites" are going to send their kid to Southern. Look at Bennett and Gilbert. Bennett sent both kids to Ole Miss. Gilbert sent his kid to Alabama. Even our leaders think we're a joke.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#20 2017-10-02 11:00:01 - Will Southern Miss ever be good again?

beagle (173)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

Southern Miss has historically been a teachers college, nursing college and liberal arts college.  None of these has historically produced high paying professional careers for men......of which support athletics at their schools.   Ole Miss and Miss State has produced decades of law degrees, architectural degrees, engineering degrees, medical degrees etc etc both with VERY strong Greek presence.  It makes a difference.  Just go to tailgating at any of those two schools and more times than not you're going to meet an actual alum that was in a frat....etc etc.    Southern Miss has those too but in very very low numbers.   Southern Miss has historically been a suitcase college.  There's been very little degree of school spirit or loyalty from the vast majority of students that go to Southern Miss like you see at the other two schools.   They go to Southern Miss out of convenience, etc.

Another thing I notice on gamedays is that there are virtually no high school kids. Yet another indicator that no good students are interested in our school. Go to Oxford or Starkville. Huge difference.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-02 11:00:27)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Board footer